- 1 fillet of mackerel
- 1 lemon
- 5g sea salt
- 5g sugar
- 250g fresh dill
- 50g of chives
- 250g flat leaf parsley
- 100g vegetable oil
- 1 Sechuan Button
- 100ml double cream
- 50g smoked mackerel
- Debone and dice the mackerel fillet.
- Finely chop 50g of dill, 50g of flat leaf parsley, 50g of chives and the Sechuan Button.
- Marinade the mackerel in salt, sugar, the juice of half the lemon, the chopped herbs and Sechuan Button.
- Peel and dice the celery and blanch in boiling salted water for 30 seconds then immediately plunge into ice water.
- Peel and dice the apple and together with the blanched celery add this to the mackerel mixture.
- Place the remaining parsley and dill in a blender and blend with the vegetable oil on full power for 2 minutes.
- Place the mixture in a saucepan and bring up to 100°C while stirring constantly, then immediately pour into a bowl over ice through a coffee filter.
- Gently warm the cream with the smoked mackerel to infuse the flavour and blend till smooth, season with lemon juice.
- Once chilled mix the cream sauce with the herb oil to produce a split sauce.
- To serve spread the mixture over a paper towel to drain excess liquid.
- Place a small amount of the mackerel tartare in the middle of the bowl and sauce with the split cream sauce.
Recipe: Thomas Martin
Say yes to the cress