(For 4 portions)
- 4 larger turnips with green
- A few sprigs of chives
- Arqan argan oil
- Apple vinegar
- Cup of Kyona Mustard Cress - Koppert Cress
- Mace powder - Verstegen
- Black pepper - Verstegen
- Coarse sea salt - Verstegen
- Clean and wash the turnips.
- Keep the most beautiful green leaves.
- Peel the turnips.
We prepare it further in 3 ways.
Part 1: Grilled discs:
- Cut 3 slices per person, thickness 1 cm, cut where turnips thickest.
- Season with salt and pepper and a few drops of argan oil.
- Grill slowly on both sides. Save for later.
Part 2: Sour threads:
- Cut some wafer-thin slices from the remaining turnip parts with the help of a mandolin.
- Then cut fine with a knife into threads. Marinate these in half water, half apple vinegar. Also add some salt and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Part 3: Emulsion:
- We cut remaining turnip pieces into blocks and cook them in water with a little salt. Add finely chop a few green leaves and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Then mix turnip with greens and a dash of cooking liquid, add a little mace and a dash of argan oil. Possibly spice extra with pepper and sea salt.
To finish off:
- Place 3 hot discs on each plate. Spoon some fresh green turnip emulsion onto each slice.
- Drain slightly leavened turnip julienne and place a small heap on each slice.
- Now finish with some finely chopped chives and Kyona Mustard Cress. Possibly a few more drops of argan oil.
Recipe: Frank Fol - The Vegetables Chef®
Photo: Wim Demessemaekers, Photographer | @wim_dmskrs
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Plate: Wild Grey Plate
Say yes to the cress